We invite you to visit one of the finest motor museums in europe.
Admire horse-drawn vehicles from the 1880s and learn how they gave way first to steam driven, then petrol & diesel powered motor lorries & buses. Perhaps remember times when garages might have just a single fuel pump, and someone would come out to serve you petrol at less than 4 shillings a gallon!
Take your time & enjoy being able to move easily between exhibits to inspect them from all sides.
- Walk freely around over 60 historic vehicles - walkways have few roped-off areas and are wheelchair friendly, enabling visitors to get really close to early steam wagons; vintage ﬁre-engines; double-deck & single-deck buses.
We don't expect you to just stand and observe from a distance!
- See how many improvements have been made to make life easier and safer on the roads today.
- Get behind the wheel of a vintage lorry or experience the comforts of a modern truck cab.
- Admire the Pope-mobile, a specially built vehicle for Pope Paul's visit in 1982.
- And children love our vintage fire engines with their big brass bells.
We help bring to life times past, and create an entertaining atmosphere.
- Hear marching soldiers and then the boom of big guns from the World War 1 ‘Sound & Light’ display.
- A fairground organ pipes melodies which gets toes tapping and frequently brings back nostalgic memories.
- Bells ring out from fire-engines rushing to an emergency call.
- Relax in the cinema to watch films from our archives.
- And then, our guides too have many interesting tales to tell!